National climbing award scheme
NICAS (National climbing award scheme) is a nationally run award scheme run by the Association of British climbing walls training trust.
Here we deliver all aspects of the scheme. Got a wall and want to run NICAS? talk to us!
The National Indoor Climbing Award Schemes are UK wide schemes designed to promote climbing development and accredit individual achievement on artificial climbing structures. It can be used as a starting point for people wishing to take up climbing and mountaineering. The schemes are open to all candidates aged 7 and upwards.
Already an experienced climber or an adult? NICAS is still for you; direct entry into higher levels can be done as part of our Skills Course where the first session will assess your abilities and put you into an appropriate level for your climbing - call us on 01364 644499 for details.
Aims Of The Scheme
- to develop climbing movement skills and improve levels of ability.
- to learn climbing rope-work and how to use equipment appropriately.
- to develop risk assessment and risk management skills in the sport.
- to work as a team, communicate with, and trust a climbing partner.
- to provide a structure for development, motivation and improved performance.
- to develop an understanding of the sport, it’s history and future challenges.
- to provide a record of personal achievement.
- to point the way to further disciplines and challenges in climbing beyond the scheme.
Structure Of The Scheme
The Scheme comprises five levels of award aimed at complete novices to expert climbers. The scheme is split into two parts and takes a minimum of 100 hours to complete in its entirety. Part 1 contains Levels 1 ato 3 and Part 2 contains Levels 4 to 5. Upon registering with an Awarding Centre candidates receive a log booklet for the scheme. After achieving each level they are awarded with a certificate on behalf of the ABCTT.
The five levels are:
An entry level aimed at novices that recognises their ability to climb safely under supervision.
Top Rope Climber
Aimed at promoting good practice in climbing and bouldering unsupervised on an artificial wall.
A more advanced top roping and bouldering level that focuses on developing technique and movement skills.
Concentrates on the skills required to both lead climb and belay a lead climber.
The top level that focuses on improving performance, a deeper understanding of climbing systems and the wider world of climbing.
At Dart Rock we are a primary Centre delivering all NICAS levels at both Dart Rock and Marjon sites. To sign up speak to a member of staff, its easy
Levels 1-3 £7.50
Levels 4-5 £7.50
Logbook Binder £5.00
For more info click HERE